There are three main ways that you can use Young Living essential oils: Topically, Aromatically, and Internally.
You can apply 1 – 2 drops of an oil directly to your skin. If you are new to oils, I would suggest diluting an oil with a good, organic carrier oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, or Young Living’s own V-6 enhanced vegetable oil before applying to your skin for the first time. Some people’s skin is more sensitive to essential oils than others. Anytime you are using an oil on a child, you should definitely dilute it for all uses. Ever heard someone say that they apply an oil “neat?” That simply means that they did not dilute the oil with a carrier oil before applying. They simply applied the oil straight from the bottle.
There are also some oils that are considered to be “hot” oils. These can cause discomfort if not diluted properly before applying to the skin. Some common hot oils are Oregano, Thieves, Cinnamon, Thyme, and Clove, to name a few. These oils should always be diluted before use to avoid the hot sensation when applied to skin.
My favorite way to enjoy essential oils aromatically is by placing 4 – 6 drops in my Young Living diffuser (all from one oil, or a mixture of oils). However, there are many more ways to do so:
1. Place 1 – 2 drops in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, and then cup them over your nose and inhale deeply.
2. You can also smell the oil directly from the bottle.
3. Place a few drops of your favorite essential oil on your air filter in your home, or on a cotton ball in an area that needs freshening (like the bottom of your trash can, before you put in a new bag).
4. Mix 5 – 10 drops of essential oil with a small amount of witch hazel in a spray bottle, then fill with distilled water. Shake before each use. Use this spray to freshen up the air around your home, or even spray directly onto items like pet beds, a favorite blanket, or your pillow.
5. Add a drop or two of your favorite oil to a diffuser necklace or bracelet.
6. Wear your favorite oil as a perfume by rubbing in 1 – 2 drops on your wrists and neck.
*Check back next week for a list of common diffuser combos using just the oils from your Premium Starter Kit.*
I do not suggest ingesting any oils besides Young Living oils. Their quality goes above and beyond, and they have an entire line of oils that have been labeled purely for ingestion. This line is called the Vitality Oil line, and has a white label instead of the usual colorful labels.
There are a few ways to take Young Living oils internally:
- Add a drop or two of your favorite vitality oil to a cup of water (use only stainless steel or glass cups, since some oils will etch or begin to break down plastic).
- Add a few drops to a capsule and then take like a pill. You can buy the empty capsules off of Young Living’s website.
- Vitality oils are even great for cooking! Add a drop of peppermint vitality to your brownie mix, a drop of oregano vitality to your favorite spaghetti sauce, replace lemon juice with a drop or two of lemon vitality oil, etc. (Check back every Friday – I will be posting oil-infused recipes in the near future.)
I tried to keep it fairly simple here so that it’s a good place to start. There are lots of recipes for DIY products (bath soaks, hand soap, etc.) and recipes for meals and treats (using the vitality lines) as well as various combinations for diffusing. Keep checking back every Friday for more info on individual oils as well as the above-mentioned recipes and diffuser combinations. I can’t wait to guide you through this journey with oils!
If you are ready to get started and try some of this out yourself, our Young Living Premium Starter Kit is the best value, with 11 oils, product samples, and a diffuser of your choice. All the things you need to get started! You can get more information here.
Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only. I do not diagnose,
treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you are suffering from any disease, illness,
or injury, it is your responsibility to consult with your physician. These
statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
Some links on our website are affiliate links and we may make a commission from you using our link for your purchase. However, it does not change the amount you pay for the item. Thanks for your support!