This easy baked cheesy chicken and tomatoes recipe is another one of my go-to meals when I don’t have a lot of prep time or I need to go grocery shopping soon since the ingredients for this meal can almost always be found in my pantry and fridge. The first time I made this meal, I fell in love with it, but I didn’t think my kids would like it because of the tomatoes and onions, so I just served them the cheesy chicken without the tomato onion mixture on top. They did enjoy it that way, but the next time I made this, I included the mixture on top and my kids actually ate more of it this way! Shocking! Needless to say, this is another family favorite that is made often in our home.
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp dried parsley
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (you can add more if you’d like)
1) Preheat broiler. I just press “broil” on my oven and use whatever temperature it starts at. If your oven has an option between high or low for the broiler, choose high and check the chicken often throughout cooking.
2) Grease a baking dish with butter and set aside.
3) In a medium mixing bowl, add tomatoes, olive oil, onion, garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Mix well.
4) Add the mixture to the baking dish.
5) Salt and pepper the chicken breasts.
6) Press the chicken breasts into the tomato mixture so that the mixture surrounds the chicken breasts but does not cover it.
7) Broil for 10 minutes or until slightly browned. Flip the chicken breasts and broil for 10 – 12 more minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees and the tomato mixture is bubbling.
8) Cover with cheese and broil for about a minute more or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
I made this earlier this week and we had parmesan garlic baked green beans as our side, but any vegetable side would keep this meal rather healthy.